A majority of Americans are worried over their finances. In fact, a poll conducted by the American Psychological Association found 64 percent of Americans consider finances as a primary source of stress. However, worrying over money can lead to physical and mental health problems. It is important to find healthy ways to deal with financial stress.
Chronic stress can increase the risk of heart disease, the leading cause of death in the US. This is because many people develop unhealthy habits to shield themselves from high levels of stress. Smoking, comfort foods and excessive drinking are just a few examples. Stress also releases the hormone adrenaline, which increases blood pressure. Excessive adrenaline can increase the risk of developing heart disease.
Financial worries are also linked to depression. A study conducted by Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine claimed borrowers with excessive student loans reported higher rates of depressive symptoms.
Fortunately, there are techniques for reducing stress and improving your health.
Are There Any Activities that Can Help Deal with Financial Stress?
The following suggestions from Harvard Medical School may help you reduce stress and improve your health:
- Staying positive by keeping an upbeat attitude can improve your heart health. Laughter reduces the levels of stress hormones bad for your heart.
- Meditation may help reduce blood pressure and decrease the chances of developing heart disease, but not by itself.
- Exercise can release endorphins responsible for boosting mood. It can also prevent heart disease and lower blood pressure.
- Develop techniques for avoiding stressors. For example, if Facebook causes you stress, avoid it when you are able.
- Find a new hobby or activity that helps reduce stress, such as hanging out with friends or listening to music. Be creative.
One of the best ways to reduce stress over money is to develop strategies for tackling your financial problems. The longer you sit on financial problems, the more they will negatively affect your health.
The Kansas City bankruptcy attorneys at The Sader Law Firm can help you find solutions for managing difficult financial situations.